Thursday, November 23, 2006

to build or not to build

I'm in Auckland at the moment, so thought I will blog about an Auckland issue - whether or not to build a stadium on the Auckland waterfront (picture shows artists depiction of the proposed waterfront stadium). Apparently it will cost $500 million, but knowing how these building projects go, it will be likely to cost around $700 million (thats my uneducated guess).

Politicians like to be able to leave a legacy - usually a visible one if possible. And I wonder if building the stadium is their (local and national politicians) way of leaving something that they can point to and say that they built that stadium.

The govenment has said that part of the funding will come from taxes. I'm not sure I want my tax money to go into building a stadium that is quite likely to be empty for most of the year. I am rather (optimistically) hoping that tax money will go into better use like health funding and reducing waiting times on waiting lists. Not to mention the potential eye sore it will be on the Auckland waterfront!

Sometimes I wish politicians would stop stroking their own egos and do things that would benefit the community even if it means they themselves are unnoticed.

In the meantime, (and as much as it pains me to say this) perhaps Australia should start getting ready to host the World Cup.

No comments: