Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Musings from Japan 4 (Kamakura)

Visited many temples again today in Kamakura (less than an hour on the subway south of Tokyo city centre) some many hundreds of years old. It was really hot so walking around and up various stairs was unpleasant but still worth having a look.

Today's discoveries:
1. Yesterday morning, I got on the train Tokyo commuters. It was an interesting experience. Today, Tokyo commuters got on the train that I was in. Talk about feeling claustrophobic. But they do it so politely. Just turn around to face the doors as they get in and shuffle everyone else along.

2. How wonderful to have vending machines dotted everywhere on the street! I was feeling really hot and dehydrated but there was an abundance of choice of cold drinks with many vending machines everywhere! Yay!

3. How wonderful to be able point at things when you can't speak the language. I discovered a kaiten zushi place (place where the various types of sushi goes round on a conveyor belt and you pick what you want and they add up the bill by seeing what plates you got). I pointed to a "special dish" cos I didn't see it go around - thin pieces of raw beef on sushi rice. It was very good. The beef was nicely marbled and tender. I had 3 different plates (6 pieces of sushi) which came to 890 yen. Just over 10NZD.

No comments: