Wednesday, March 08, 2006

this side of Heaven

At our office devotions today, we talked about heaven. To be honest, heaven is something I hardly think about. Mainly because I have no idea what its going to be like and hoping it won't be like how some people have suggested it could be like. But heaven (and hell) is not an uncommon topic in pop culture. Its used in advertising and in movies. In movies, people who die seem to go to heaven. But I'm pretty sure it does exist otherwise Elijah will be having a wild time somewhere up there in space.

On earth, we have a glimpse of God's creativeness - majestic mountains, delicate flowers, powerful waves. In heaven, I hope the beauty of all that is around me will blow my mind. On earth, we are comforted by God's Spirit. In heaven, I hope there will be no more tears. On earth, we press on to try and live a life that is worthy of the Gospel of Jesus. In heaven, I hope we will be made perfect. On earth, we are awed and humbled by the profoundness of Grace. In heaven, we will understand the culmination of Grace.

For now, I work towards what a follow of Jesus works towards - holiness, compassion, humility, awed by God through creation etc. And I live in hope that heaven will be much more than I expect it to be. But for now, on this side of heaven, I only hope to be of earthy good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
Just thought I'll let you know that I just loved this post.