Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tis that time of year again

Christmas is just around the corner. Its less than a week to go. I'd hate to be in town this week and next weekend. I'm sure it will be crazy at the malls.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Christmas. Before I go on rambling, just wanna say, I am not the Grinch nor am I scrooge-like (maybe?). I used to like the Christmas season. Maybe for the novelty of it. Growing in Malaysia we went carolling for the entire week before Christmas and was involved in the midnight mass at the Anglican parish I went to. So weeks leading up to Christmas meant lots and lots of practices. But I did enjoy it. Cos I got to do things that I didn't get to do at other times of the year and I got to hang out heaps with my friends. Christmas wasn't much of a family event when I grew up. We had a meal together maybe with friends or relatives and my parents would give us presents. But its was simple and low-key.

I find Christmas in NZ very stressful (or perhaps I am just getting older and grumpier). You feel left out if you didn't have family or didn't have friends to spend Christmas with. You finally
have some time off work but your friends are all stressed and have left to go back to wherever their families are gathering for Christmas. Then there is the mad Christmas rush where there are lots of people everywhere - malls, shops, supermarkets etc. Its stressful just watching them!

I've given up buying people Christmas presents. First of all, I can't figure what to buy. Then you just go ahead and buy something and wonder if they will actually use it or chuck it in a dark corner of their room. Then you wonder who else have you forgotten and mostly then if you are like me, you will go shopping in the last week leading up to Christmas when the whole city is out shopping, so you are pushing and shoving while still deciding what to buy. So I have decided that I will not buy any presents for people because it is just far too stressful. Anyways, there is a website that suggests just that. So perhaps I will spend my money on a piglet or a goat or an acre of farmland. Let me know if you wanna go halves on a donkey. They cost quite a bit but will go a long way...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should just share in the goat that Esther wants to get!!!

karen said...

True... but a donkey is far more exciting!

E said...

Anna, the goat is sooo last season. The new "in" thing for me is buying a piglet :) Or better, a COW! Kim will be so proud if i do that

karen said...

Well, you can buy a cow here... http://www.tearfund.org.nz/home.php
But I have to say the piglet looks really cute!