Wednesday, May 30, 2007

shift+F7

I had to sit for a test this morning. (Well, the lecturer called it a test as that department doesn't do exams. But I reckon its an exam - it had 20 short answer questions and 2 essays. Tests usually consist of 20 multiple choice or short answers or things like that. But I digress...)

It's been a wee while since I've had to sit for one of those things. A couple of things alarmed me. Firstly, I mentally kept wanting to hit Shift+F7 (for those who use Word a lot, you know what this function does!) Particularly when I wanted to describe Jesus being against something and all I could come up with was: Jesus' againstment... It took me almost a whole minute to figure out the word I was looking for was 'opposition'. Secondly, I kept wanting to 'cut and paste' portions of my essay. I even envisaged doing that as I was writing the essay especially since I kept thinking about things I should have said that would have worked better at the beginning of the essay rather than in the middle.

In short, I am so used to using the computer, or the word processor rather, to organise my thoughts that I can't quite seem to organise it anymore on paper and don't forget the time pressure. I feel sorry for my lecturer who will be reading my kind-of-coherent-but-not-very-organised-piece-of repeated-information, also known as answers the essay questions! Sorry, I am too caught up with technology that I'm not very good with pen and paper anymore!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Plucky!! I sooo relate to this. Loved it. Sure you'd do well. Did you do a word count? I'd be tempted to do that...and of course justify everything! HOpe you are well. Elizabeth

Parisian Cowboy said...

Same here. That's why I try to force myself to write on paper.