Friday, January 07, 2005

pushing the boundaries

Summer cell group has resumed today. We looked at the passage in John 4 where Jesus speaks to the Samaritan woman. I just love how Jesus defies the normal (but prejudiced) practices of that society. Anyway, a couple of things that I enjoyed about that passage:

John 3 looks at a conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus, a man, with status in society, a well educated man. Then in chapter 4, he chats with a Samaritan, not only that, but a woman too, and probably uneducated. Even the disciples were surprised when they came back and saw him talking to the Samaritan woman (although they didn't voice anything). Two extremes of the spectrum. But he relates to each individual at a level where they understood him. What a beautiful picture - a God who relates freely and relevantly to all. What an amazing example for those who follow him, esp in this day and age of all sorts of prejudices.

Jesus little blurb on worship - worshipping God in spirit and in truth. I used to think it was about being honest before God and giving it everything during "times of worship". But my take on it now (helped by a couple of commentaries), is that God is spirit, so worshipping God is spirit means I acknowledge that God is in a different dimension from me, and I seek to acknowledge God in that dimension. In truth, for me means I seek to live out my life according to the truth - the teachings of Jesus. Hmm... this means there is a lot more at stake and a lot more costly than just singing earnestly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"a God who relates freely and relevantly to all. What an amazing example for those who follow him, esp in this day and age of all sorts of prejudices. "

Great post Kazz, I esspecially liked this part...