Tuesday, February 22, 2005

More thoughts on prayer

Been thinking more about the whole prayer thing. The good news is I don’t totally not believe in it. I think I have problems with certain types of prayer. At the moment, I can cope with a more generalised prayer. Its kinda specific prayer that I find hard. Its really hard to explain. For example, I guess I would have problems if someone prayed that God would heal my arm (which still in a cast). Maybe because I am sceptical. And maybe because I equate that with some kind of immediate result. On the other hand, if they prayed that my bone would heal well, I might find that easier to take (not that the prayer is directed to me anyway).

Being in christian ministry, I end up going to many meetings. It seems customary to end Christian meetings (the committee/planning kind) with prayer. I am uncomfortable with that because it almost seems like a shopping list prayer, as you pray about what you talked about. It seems too much like a habitual Christian way to end a meeting. At the moment, I feel more able to start with a prayer cos at the start you’re feeling a bit more vulnerable than at the end, when all decisions have been made.

Maybe what I struggle with is what we have made of prayer. The whole ‘ask-and-it-shall-be-given-shopping-trolley’ type prayer. Maybe I struggle with that because I don’t have enough faith. Or am too sceptical. But prayer with a sense of our helplessness, a prayer to someone who is bigger and more able. And I guess as Stu has mentioned, prayer as a foolishly faithful act – in our vulnerability, abandoning ourselves to God. That kind of prayer I find strangely comforting. Maybe it is a product of foolish faith.

2 comments:

Jungle Pop said...

Wow, I'm with you on this one. When I'm sick, I don't want people to pray that I'll get better. Almost always, I will, won't I? Seems kinda silly to ask for "complete and total healing" for a cold.

Instead, I ask people to pray for me in the midst of my illness, that I will learn something about God or myself through it.

At the same time, we are told in the Bible to pray for each other if we're sick. So I just gotta find the middle ground, and not be so bull-headed all the time.

Good post, Kazz...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kazz,

found your blog through your comment on my "anonymous" blog (http://afrustratedblogger.blogspot.com/) which I totally abandoned last year! Guess I'm just not the type to keep two blogs. Anyway I went to check it today (first time in 5 months) and your name popped up, just wanted to say hi. As for the subject of prayer I have also been thinking more about it lately then I ever have and I think I can follow your point of view. Having a brother that has been sick for 31 years in spite of being prayed for by basically anyone and everyone, "big" and "small". Sometimes you can loose your faith in prayer that way when you don't see any results. As for now I'm sticking to seeing God in all "small", daily things and pray for open eyes to see his answers that sometimes might be an unwelcome "no". Other then that I have started praying with beads and keeping the hours - if you're a charismatic or Pentecostal etc. and think that sounds too catholic I, as a brethren/charismatic/Pentecostal, know exactly where you're coming from - but I have found great help in the more "catholic" practices of prayer lately, such as lectio divina and centering prayer.
...anyway just a few thoughts. You're more then welcome to visit me on my more regular blog at: http://maiken.typepad.com/