Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent. This year, I have decided to observe Lent - so I am giving up alcohol and chocolate. I thought it would be good to practice spiritual discipline and focus on Jesus. As I was thinking about it, I realised that it was hard for me to settle on something to give up for Lent because it was inconvenient - I never know when I would feel like a nice beer (with the nice warm weather we are having lately) and I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but I do reasonably often eat chocolate things. And I don't drink coffee and very seldom drink tea, so hot chocolate is my drink of choice at cafes.

I hope that this would give me a renewed appreciation of Jesus' sacrifice. Not just his suffering on the cross, but the fact that he chose to come to live as a human and face the temptations and challenges that we face as humans. Its all to easy to take all this for granted, hence my reason for observing Lent this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yep, it was alcohol for me too. knowing that this was going to be a really stressful time in my life and all (i announced my resignation on wednesday if you'd missed that news). so, when i feel like a drink the most, that's when i'm depriving myself and having to rely on jesus.