Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Its that time of year again

Its Lent again (lent started on Feb 6th). Its quite early this year and I almost forgot about it. I decided that I wanted to observe lent again this year but at the same time I didn't really want to. I thought that because I had done it once before would make it easier. But to be honest it made it harder. The thought (and memory) of giving up something that I like was not appealing. I like that I have control over the fact I can eat what I want whenever I want. Basically, I didn't want to obeserve lent because I am self-centred. Which is all the more why I need to obeserve lent. I decided to abstain from beer and liqour and chocolate, this means I can't have tiramisu, a nice bottle of cold beer with a curry, no hot chocolates or ice chocolates, or cookies and cream ice cream, or chocolate chips cookies.

But every time I deny myself the pleasure of these things that I enjoy, I hope I am made more aware of Christ's sacrifice. Of Jesus' willingness to give up equality with God and to move into our neighbourhood of selfishness, of sin. To go through immense suffering and a humiliating death. All this to demonstrate God's love for us in a way that we can truly understand so that we may be reconciled to God. I really hope that lent gives me a fresh and much needed gratefulness for Jesus' sacrifice.

have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a human being,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

Philippians 2:5b-8

No comments: