Saturday, August 02, 2008

Musings from Japan 1 (Tokyo)

Konichiwa.

First full day in Japan and I am amazed by this country and culture. They take politeness and rule-keeping to a whole new higher playing field. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, even the Japanese speaking guards who helpfully (I think) sought to point me to the right exit at the Metro station in Japanese. I didn't understand a single word and ended up asking 3 guards to get to the right exit (there are about 20 or so different exits at the Shibuya station).

Today's "discoveries":

1. I expected this but was still blown away by the sheer number of vending machines everywhere selling all kinds of things.

1 of the apparent 6 million vending machines in Tokyo (thats more than the population of NZ!!)

2. It is not uncommon for Japanese workers to work from 8am till about midnight and also o Saturdays and Sundays. It is a culture that values the group culture so workers will try to all be there together and usually will try to get there before the boss and leave after the boss does.

3. How absolutely amazingly wonderful fresh sushi is! The fish just melts in your mouth. But I have also discovered that I do not raw squid as much I like cooked squid.

No comments: