Monday, August 04, 2008

Musings from Japan 2 (Tokyo)

Saw my first shrine, Meiji Jingu, today. It was really beautiful. There were many people praying and putting prayers on the prayer wall. I hope that as I get a picture of Shinto-ism and Buddhism in Japan I will be deeply disturbed as Paul was in Acts 17.

left: patrons praying at the shrine right: one of the prayer walls in the courtyard

Today's discoveries:
1. Well actually discovered this last night but realised today how wonderfully refreshing it is! Its going to be my new favourite refreshment while I am here.

You basically get a bowl of crush ice and then you get to add your own coloured, sweetened, flavours. I'm sure they are full of nasty food colouring but your feeling hot and exhausted - its really GOOD!

2.




Just next to Harajuku station are teenage girls (mostly) are gathered dressed in outrageous clothes or as manga characters. Then nearby at the entrance to Yoyo-gi Park we discovered a group of men (ages ranging from early 20s to early 50s) mostly wearing leather pants and dancing to what sounded like 50's music as if there was no tomorrow. They really looked like they were having a good time and were oblivious to the crowd gathered to watch them.

The cos-play (costume play) kids are usually kids that have been bullied at school and regularly do this as an outlet before they get back on the trains to go back into a life where they remain largely faceless. My theory of the Elvis guys as we called them, is that this is one outrageous expression they have that doesn't conform to a rule-bound culture. I am pretty certain they go back to mundane desk jobs.

Whatever it is, its certainly given tourists like me something to take photos of to remember and to be pleasantly surprised by the new culture I am in.

No comments: