Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Joy to the world

Well, festivities are officially over. I went to some Christmas gatherings – 1 with neighbours, 1 with students and 1 with friends. They were all small and simple gatherings which I prefer as they are more relaxed and intimate, and cuts the need for the cocktail party small talk rubbish.

Anyway, I did spend a little bit of time and cloud out the eating and merry-making and reflect on what Christmas means for me. One thing was, I realised that I actually do like the carol “Joy to the world” as it talks about some significant points. 1. That everything on earth should rejoice because of the Incarnation – God becoming one of us, that we may be reconciled to God. 2. But we need to make space in our hearts, and in our lives to embrace Jesus and all that he requires of us if we choose to follow him.

A lot of my thinking about what Christmas means to me has been centred around John 1:1-18. I have heard it many times before. Even remember a song about it. But it has never quite grabbed me like it has since I had to prepare a bible study on it about 3 weeks ago. As Stu says in
his sermon, this passage talks about a divine yet dangerous interference in all our lives (whether we choose to acknowledge that Interference or not). This reminds me of a bit in the “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”. Lucy and the others were eating with the Beavers and were hearing about Aslan for the first time. Upon hearing that Aslan in a lion, one of the children ask “Is he safe?” And the reply “Safe? Of course not. But he is good”.

So as we enter a new year, I will continue to ponder on the Incarnation and this divine interference.

Joy to the world
The Lord is come
Let earth receive her King
Let every heart, prepare him room

No comments: