Wednesday, April 12, 2006

back to my roots?

On Sunday night for the ICF committee retreat, I led a contemplative time of reflection. I have done stuff like this before, but always together with someone. So this was the first time I prepared one on my own. I used the outline from the Sacred Space website (which is a site I try to use often to pray and reflect before I go to bed). I also used lots of written prayers from a book I bought last year and from the Book of Common prayer. It flowed really well. We had a good time to reflect on the last 3 months and then share and pray for each other. Then for the 'Word of God' bit, I used Psalm 30 from a Sons of Korah album and put that on repeat. And then we closed the time together and had chocolate fondue.

I grew up in an Anglican church, and I really disliked using liturgy then. But now, I have begun to like written prayer. I usually go to the Book of Common prayer to find some ideas/inspiration and I also have the New Zealand prayer book (which is the one used by the Anglican Church in NZ). And also try to find other sources where there is pre-written prayer and also contemporary liturgies/prayers. I have come to think that written prayers are just much more able to convey needs and expressions in such a succinct (and sometimes more poetic) way. Also in reflection times, I like the idea of just listening to the bible, and not have anyone explain it or give their opinion about it, but each person can just mull it over - just them and God. And allow the words to just bring healing, restoration, rebuke, etc. (Taken from a Taize style worship idea).

Worship/prayer sessions can easily be wordy. How nice to have simple words, silence, candles and simple music. I'm now finding this approach much more fulfilling and refreshing.

No comments: