Wednesday, October 26, 2005

'I had a right'

Rosa Parks, the black woman who marked the start of the modern US civil rights movement by refusing to give up her seat on the bus has died. I admit I know nothing of her life except this one courageous act that has made history. I can't imagine what it would have been like to stand up against the norm, the law, and the inequalities during that time. All I know is that because she took the courage to stand up (or rather sit down in this case!) for something she believed in, she paved the way for equality among races in the US. And she is known across the globe for this. I guess its probably also because it was a peaceful protest, and it sparked a peaceful protest.

May the spirit and courage of Rosa live on in all who seek to champion for the rights of those who have less, and may it all be done also in peace.

No comments: