Thursday, October 13, 2005

OMG!!!

Was surfing through ship of fools and came across this. At first I thought it was a joke... until I checked out the website. I cannot imagine anyone I know remotely wanting to play this game. Anyway, isn't it a bit deceitful - inviting poor unsuspecting non-Christians to play a board game (which they probably think will be Settlers or Cranium or Pictionary etc) and you whip out this Salvation Challenge game?

But then there are several methods or inflicting salvation or evangelising that I would deem rather deceitful or ungracious. Especially those that call for you to accost a stranger and recite some formulaic story to them. Well, basically I'm referring to one that I really don't like called the Black Book. [by the way, I think websites who say they are about proclaiming the gospel and then are obsessed wioth stats are a bit suspect. Why have stats? Scare themselves into evagelising?]

The basic premise is starting with the question "Do all good people go to heaven?" Well, you can guess what happens next. But the thing is, I do not recall Jesus ever using that line on anyone in the gospels. Jesus always approaches others with compassion eventhough he was confronting them with the awful truth. The Samaritan woman, for example, he starts introducing her to life first by beginning to talk about living water. Then he confronts her 'sin' and tells her go leave her 'sinful' life behind. But all with the promise of life. The woman acknowledged what she did was wrong and that she needed to get her life right. Jesus didn't have to threaten her with the prospect of hell. If Jesus is all we say he is cut out to be, then talking about him and the life is offers should be enticing enough. Not scaring people into heaven! Gosh. They might get there, look at Jesus and say "Who are you? Not really heard of you before!"

I had to do a workshop at mid-year conference. And I ended talking about the uniqueness of Christ. In it, I urged students to listen to what others had to say, not to sound arrogant or take the high road. And most of all, to talk about how Jesus is different. Not better. Not right (and whatever others believe in is wrong). But different. Talk about life. Talk about grace. Talk about love. Thats what Jesus talked about.

But then maybe I am too pc in my approach...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh so awesome! makes me wanna ditch my Settlers and invite all those heathens out there! no more Settlers night...now it's SALVATION NIGHT!!! woohoo!!! oh so awesome. (just basking in it's glory)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jesus reached out with the Love of God and it worked wonders...
-millionpieces