Sunday, October 17, 2004

money, money, money

Money is one of those touchy topics. On Friday night I was helping a friend raise money for a mission trip to Thailand where she will be involved in doing some charity work in some villages and also helping out with Christian efforts. I think if people have their perspectives right, a short mission trip will do them lots of good. No doubt they will have a chance to dabble in some charity work and thus help others, but I think it does more for the person themselves by opening their eyes to a different reality that other people live in.

Anyway... I was going around getting people to pledge money to her. I know its wrong to judge and all and its hard to know peoples' motives but, I think the way people react when approached for money can be telling of their attitude towards money and/or mission). Everyone was familiar with my friend and thus the cause for collecting money, but still I got a few seemingly grudging givers. Maybe I jump to conclusions to quickly, and maybe because exams are looming it was more reactionary to stress than anything else. I don't know.

I am thankful for all who gave, but I am convinced that we can be better givers. We always think we need more money (for ourselves) than we actually do. I don't people think about sacrifice when giving anymore. Many give out of abundance (which is not a bad thing at all), but at times, can we give up certain luxuries - shopping or eating out or movies - in order to give more money to a cause? Just because we don't have enough money to buy stuff that we want, does that make us poor? (That was how I used to think as a student! And I think many students still think like that.) But I had a decent place to live in, three decent meals a day plus snacks, and enough money for entertainment every week. But because I couldn't buy certain items and didn't have a lot of money I thought myself poor. Money will be an issue that will continue to plague me and I am sure many other people. I hope that my eyes will be open enough to the realities of the world around me so I can have a good perspective on being poor, and remember the values that Jesus taught - that there are other people or causes that are more important than me or indulging my luxuries.

1 comment:

Rand said...

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: for all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." (Mark 12:41-44)


Most of us today have no idea what this passage is all about experientially. We would even call such a widow unwise; we'd probably even lock her up somewhere. And yet the Lord commends her giving.

We're bad...we're sooooo bad.

Take care,